A Daddy, a Momma, a Big Sister and a Baby Brother.

Monday, May 23, 2011

More Ellie Clothes

So while Will was gone, I'm sure I spent at least a whole week doing nothing but sewing. Now obviously I can't really do that because I have a baby, but it really seemed like it.

So here are some of the things I made:

Black and White Dress


I made this dress out of the leftover fabric I got myself for one of my skirts. So we can match now! It's the same pattern I used for the little denim dress that I made too small. This one is cute, but I think the straps are a little too long. I'll maybe fix it at some point.

I also made a hat, which you can see here where she's in the swing.

Orange Dress

I fell in love with this fabric. I find myself really drawn to orange lately, which is a little weird for me. 

The pattern called for rick-rack on the bottom, I didn't have any, so I improvised. The original dress looked like a tent on her, so I added the tie in the back, but I don't think I made the ties long enough. I should probably just take in the dress a little.


Also, I made my first pair of little bloomers.

They didn't turn out awesome, but they work. I didn't like the ones in the pattern, so I improvised. Apparently Ellie is built like Mommy, because the legs fit but the waist doesn't. Easily fixed if I wanted to.

Purple Dress

These all look kind of large on her because I made them for about 12-18 months, since she's growing so quickly. This dress fits her best in some ways, but it still hangs kind of funny. Which is fine because she's usually sliding all over the ground anyway.


 I like this pattern because it was super easy. It was supposed to have buttons in the back, but I didn't think they were really necessary, so I left them out and sewed the straps straight to the elastic.


The dress would probably hang better if the fabric wasn't so light. But I figure light is good for a summer dress.



Flower Outfit

This next one was a hit, a hit, and a miss. It's the full hat, shirt and pants. I loved the fabric, but now I realize it's probably too bold and dark for a full outfit.
The shirt is one piece that does an awesome wrap with an x-back. I've never seen anything quite like it, but it was fun to make. The shirt was a hit and it looks really cute on her.


See what I mean about too dark and bold? But that's ok because I failed on the pants. I think I messed up somewhere with the front vs. back pieces, which makes a difference because the back is usually bigger to accommodate a diaper bum. So they're weirdly baggy and crooked and I might just pull them apart and keep them for scraps.

And of course the hat.


I like the hat. I actually put lining in this one (which I didn't for the black and white one) so it blocks the sun better, despite being dark. It's also a slightly thicker fabric. The picture isn't so awesome because she really did not want to wear the hat for the picture.


Romper

 Will picked out this fabric and I LOVE it. And this little romper turned out really well. It came from the same pattern as the black and white dress. Unfortunately Ellie didn't feel like being my little model anymore, so I don't have any other pictures. And, also unfortunately, I walked in on her pulling off one of the buttons. I put it somewhere so it wouldn't get lost before I could fix it. If only I could remember where...


So obviously I'm having a ton of fun with my new sewing hobby. And obviously I'm still learning. But I'm getting inspired with my new favorite blog Running With Scissors.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mary... really good! I haven't done much, with living at your parents and moving and being sick and being lazy =P. You are a superstar!

    ReplyDelete