A Daddy, a Momma, a Big Sister and a Baby Brother.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sewing Projects!

So for Christmas I got a sewing machine. I had never used one before, but I thought it would be fun to learn how to sew. On Black Friday in... 2009?... I went shopping with my brother-in-law's wife and she went looking at patterns for kid clothes for her 2 year-old and that was the first time I remember thinking that sewing could actually be fun. So I mentioned to Will that I wanted one, and he found a cheap one on Craigslist. It's a beginner one (perfect for me!) and we named him Bing, because he's a Singer *snicker*. Will's mom has been sewing for longer than I've been alive, so she gave me a few lessons and helped me a lot with my first couple projects. She also let me do some shopping in her basement for random odds and ends. Thanks again DeLayne!

It's only been just over a month and I've completed several projects, most of which I am VERY proud of. So I'm gonna show them off. Because I can. :)

#1: Ellie Pants


These were important because they were made without a real pattern. My mother-in-law deconstructed a pair of pants that Ellie already had and made a quick pattern. I used this technique again later on. I also learned how to put elastic into a garment. Note: little tiny pant cuffs are hard!

#2. Ellie Jumper


This was a cute pattern that Will picked out for me. I actually started it before the pants, but it took longer. And I got the sizing wrong, so it's rather small on her. But it's still pretty cute. I learned buttons, button holes and ruffles.






So her little bum hangs out the back, but it's still pretty cute. I'm considering making it again, but in the right size.

#3. Mama Skirt

My first project on my own. This was also a pattern that I got for Christmas.






This was also the first time I picked out and bought my own fabric. It's just a simple A-line skirt, but I like it. I had to do a zipper.

#4. Ellie Jacket

This one is probably the one I'm most proud of. I had a bunch of bits and pieces of fleece from Will's mom and I was trying to think of a way to use them. I found a jacket that Ellie has and decided that I could deconstruct it and make my own pattern. So I did. I didn't have enough fleece to make it a solid color like the original, but I think it turned out rather well. I did sleeves for the first time and I think it turned out very well.


I even added some decoration. It was a lot of fun. And the best part is, it took me less time than all the other projects.



She was such a good little model. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness you are talented!! sewing runs in my family, so i didn't have much of a choice :) these are adorable! you are super talented!!

    ReplyDelete